Happy Hump Day – it’s Top 5 Wednesday! As a reminder, Top 5 Wednesday is a weekly roundup of cool/fun bookish things that is hosted by Sam over at Thoughts on Tomes on YouTube. You can visit the Goodreads group for topics (and such, as Sam always says). I interpreted this topic a little differently than I’m sure a lot of people will, because I don’t read horror. It freaks me out too much, and reading is supposed to be fun. So! This topic has become sort of my own thing – creepy settings in books that aren’t creepy on their own. Anyway, you’ll see!
Top 5 Creepy Settings (in Non-Horror Books)
- Every setting in Things We Lost in the Fire by Mariana Enriquez [review]
- Wonderland in Alice: The Wonderland Chronicles by J.M. Sullivan [review]
- Kos in Beasts Made of Night by Tochi Onyebuchi [review]
- Cartaxus headquarters in This Mortal Coil by Emily Suvada
- Real Marvelous in All the Wind in the World by Samantha Mabry [review]
I can think of more, but I know there’s another similar topic coming up closer to Halloween itself, so I’ll save the rest of my picks. What do you think? What settings have creeped you out?